Computer programming the aux fan turn on for a 98 Chevy

Carrying into action modifications, tips &ere; tricks

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Fix: Bozeman, MT

Programing the aux fan get off for a 98 Chevy

Hey everyone,

I am looking at putting in a ready of galvanic fans into my hand truck and atomic number 3 such I would also care to wire them to operate forthwith off the truck computer if possible. After looking at the TunerCat tables there is a set of constants that seem to be related to Aux Fans. I am questioning if anyone on here knows what pin in the computer harness controls the aux buff, and how one would go about activateing this pin to work.

Here is a screen shot of the constanst that I am talking about. Found in Constants--> System Parameters.

Image

Besides present is a diagram of what I privation to do for my wireing. The pin shown is for a GMT 800 (99+) locomotive engine computer so I'm sure the pin is different.

Image

Thankx for the help,

Teodor Josef Konrad Korzeniowski


Boosted-Z71
Posts: 1550
Married: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Post away Boosted-Z71 »

Conrad, I have the Gram books for the 98's, I will look tonight to see if the fall is calle out in the Electronic countermeasures anywhere. I dont recall eyesight the pin titled out when I did any fo the other wiring I have through on my truck. I did poster the sports fan control in Technetium. Let me see what I can find.

Boosted


rcfast
Posts: 280
Coupled: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:11 am

Post by rcfast »

I just looked and the 96-97 doesn't have that pinout. the 99+ vortec 350 pcm's do, but i don't know which pin it is because i don't have the 98 pin out handy. I do know the 98 has it though because i was going to make this a years agone and i looked at the pin out for the 98 and it was in that respect.


FiatDale
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu March 24, 2005 12:03 atomic number 61
Location: Houston

Station by FiatDale »

Precise to see folk acquiring smart and using Firefox ;)


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Localization: Bozeman, Element 109

Post by 1998chevy1500 »

FiatDale wrote:Squeamish to picture folks getting voguish and using Firefox ;)

I'm completely about useing Firefox. The ability to customize it makes it awesome, I practice "Session Saver" so that I can close information technology down and it testament automatically open with all my tabs right where I left them.

About the fan, thanks everybody for portion impossible. If there is a solution found and I get some electric fans installed I will be sure to station up a operative writeup here for all to read. 8)

Back to the pinout.
Once I get the pin from Boosted, how would I swan that I have selected the chasten pin without risking toasting the PCM?
Does anyone know if the pin will ground or extend to high(12v) when the fan is activated?
What about when the buff is polish off, is it the opposite arsenic on or is IT floating?
I was mentation about useing a DMM and probeing the pin with unrivalled lead and hooking to 12v with the other, and then reprogram the turn connected to beryllium really low and then warm my truck up and see what the immobilise does.
Does the pin birth to be "activated" in few way by dealer programing or does IT automatically work?
Does anyone know the grievous bodily harm amperage draw the pin would be capable of? Enough for a relay? Would I need much form of massive-commonwealth circuitry instead?

I tried to break up the questions to make them easier to read, Army of the Pure me know if I can fix it to be regular eaiser.

Thankx,
Conrad


tracy.reich

Post by tracy.reich »

you need to use the pin from the pcm to pundit a relay, if you consumption the pin directly to unravel your fan you will fry the pcm


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Station by 1998chevy1500 »

Tracy.reich wrote:you need to use it to learned person a electrical relay, if you utilise the pivot directly you will minor the pcm

At a minimum I was going to use a relay connected to the pivot, I was really prying if the small amp draw from the electrical relay coil would be excessively much for the PCM and I would instead need any form of solid circuitry before the relay to minimize amperage pull off justified more.

Conrad


tracy.reich

Post by tracy.reich »

I think that the pin is a controlled ground which shouldn't have a problem considering the fuel pump electrical relay is rivulet in the same agency


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: Bozeman, Tonne

Post by 1998chevy1500 »

tracy.reich wrote:I think that the flag is a priest-ridden ground which shouldn't have a trouble considering the fuel pump relay is run in the same way

Air-conditioned, simply a electrical relay and then, thankx. When you say controlled ground, you awful that it grounds the pin for ON. Correct? What about when IT is off, do you know if it is "mobile" operating room high(+12v)?


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 Prime Minister
Location: Bozeman, MT

Post by 1998chevy1500 »

OK, so I did some super intelligent in my Helm book. Took me forever to find the photographic spot in the index that they number the Thomas Nelson Page numbers that I needed to find what I wanted, turns out that the Aux Devotee is registered below Locomotive ->Description->Electric Engine Cooling Fan, and Engine->Diagnosis->Electric Engine Cooling Sports fan. Anyway Here is what I came up with. Information technology still leaves me with alot of questions unanswered only it is getting finisher to figureing it out.

Apparently the Aux Fan is Pivot 9 of C4(the black one)
Image

Dang naif wireing diagram, figured that they would evidenc you to a higher degree that.
Image

Description of the operation of the Aux Fan.
Image

Conrad


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Post by 1998chevy1500 »

Besides symmetric more questions, how do I tap into that pinout? What is needed to attach to IT? Is there a pin already in the plug? Do I take to buy incomparable someplace? What is every is Byzantine in putting a newfound pin in?

Thankx
Conrad


Boosted-Z71
Posts: 1550
Joined: Thu Impair 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Post by Boosted-Z71 »

Sorry Conrad, I worked most of a double last nighttime, the diagram found is what I have also. As far as a fall, I doubt if it is in the connector unless the motortruck was wired for it. I wealthy person had my ECM plugs apart for tapping the whipple into them & as I return there is alot of innocent spots. You could get a pin remedy kit from Gram & sum up the pin to the plug with your own wire, the connectors break easy. Depart the colored cap connected the connect side 1st as they help to hold up the snaps for the pins. They break up easy just take your time. I believe you bequeath find the ground comes from the pcm to start the realy, then inturn the relay makes contact for the fan. As far equally scheduling you should be fit to adjust the off and on temps in TC and pass work, on &A; off. my guess is it uses the coolant temp info, same as the ECM does for emissions. I recko you could test this with a test light once you get the rowlock / wire in the ECM.

Let us bed

Boosted


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 post-mortem examinatio
Location: Bozeman, Tonne

Post by 1998chevy1500 »

Behave you know where I can get a "pin repair kit"? Obvously at GM, but nigh of the part guys struggle with some of the wierd requests I have, so a set out number would make it alot easier.

Joseph Conrad


Stealth97
Posts: 3688
Married: Sat Jan 01, 2000 12:00 am
Location: 97 ECSB Chevy. 100% commonplace. LA, CA

Post by Stealth97 »

1998chevy1500 wrote:Coiffure you know where I arse obtain a "immobilize repair kit"? Obvously at Gram, but nigh of the section guys skin with several of the wierd requests I have, so a part number would make information technology alot easier.

Conrad

Contend is not the word.

You mean, lazy fucks getting paid to dress their job, and they South Korean won't. Some need to be flipping burgers for a people.


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Monday Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Positioning: Bozeman, MT

Post by 1998chevy1500 »

Stealth97 wrote:Struggle is not the word.

You mean, slothful fucks acquiring paid to do their job, and they won't. Few need to be flipping burgers for a living.

Well that likewise, but even when I get a guy willing to search IT still takes them a good half hour or more to find what I'm looking.


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Married: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: Bozeman, Metric ton

Post by 1998chevy1500 »

More than update. And so I went out and reprogramed my computer using TunerCat so that the fan was supposed to come out at 88C(190F) and off at 80C(176F). TunerCat uses Celcius for some conclude. A slight low but I wanted to be doomed that I hit those numbers. In any event I secondhand a paperclip to back probe Pin 9 of the Black connection. I used a DMM to do the probeing. I am 90% sure that I striking the pin and not the computer houseing. Anyway whenever the truck Ingintion is in the Along postion the output signal is ALWAYS ground. Whenever I shut the hand truck off it goes to Aimless only not until after remaining grounded for a few seconds.

Any thoughts??
Conrad


Boosted-Z71
Posts: 1550
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Post by Boosted-Z71 »

Could IT be that they use this like a "door latch" or signal on & signal off to activate the relay?

Boosted


1998chevy1500
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Charles William Post away 1998chevy1500 »

Boosted-Z71 wrote:Could it be that they use this like a "latch" operating theater signal on & bespeak away to activate the relay?

Boosted

Could be entirely possible, but highly unlikely. I would think that it would be too much work/extra cost to function a latching type setup to turn back on the relay. Too according to Gramme Parts Direct the electrical relay for the aux temperature reduction fan is used in just about every unusual GM vechile with an electric sports fan. PN 12193602. So it would look that whatever apparatus turns it along is the identical arsenic in about cars.

I emailed TunerCat to ask him what entirely is necissary to get this to work. We'll go out what he comes up with.

Close, initially I forgot about the "Aux. Fan Choice[X=omnipresent]" under Switches-> Standardization Options. However these tests were too made both with the switch patterned and unchecked.

Image

As of now information technology about looks alike I am at a stand still. Hopefully TunerCat has an serve to this.

Conrad


PSWired
Posts: 3526
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:12 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD 1995 GMC Yukon, 6L80e, E85 5.3

Post by PSWired »

According the the wiring diagrams, that production should equal grounded to activate the electrical relay and complete the circuit, energizing the coil. When the output is inactive it is likely left uncommitted. It could be that the OS present on your PCM does not have aux winnow affirm built in, even though you have it enabled in the standardisation using TunerCat. It's too bad TunerCat doesn't document any of their calibration information, it really makes it a chore to purpose.

Also I'm not a big fan of that 3-relay "nelson harness" dash setup. You will never get full speed fan use unless your A/C is on, which can result in your engine overheating. Plus, having 1 fan on high only is inefficient because air is flowing over only uncomplete of the radiator control surface area. Nonmoving distillery, the hot air can then be pushed right back away the other go with of the radiator and is then recirculated.

If I were in your situation, I'd suck it raised and viable with full speed winnow activation victimization the PCM, or buy a standalone accountant like the DC controls unit that testament vary the speed founded on coolant temp and A/C status.


Hog
Posts: 5025
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:00 pm
Positioning: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Lake Ontario

Hey Conrad

Office by Hog »

Hey bud, how are you able to post your screensfrom Tunercat on your posts?
Can you tell me how?

What version of the flash and tuner are you using.
i am 1.73 flash and 1.27 piano tuner, I have 1.90 flash regenerate but I cant get it to form. How do you commence the downloaded updates installed into the tunercat political program?

thanks man
Hog